[Dx4win] MMTTY xmit & rcv keys
Floyd Sense" (Floyd Sense)
2002-06-12 15:43:02 UTC
When using MMTTY with DX4WIN for RTTY work, I found it cumbersome to use
CTRL-T and CTRL-R to switch between transmit and receive. I'm now using a
key remapping program called "Keyboard Remapper" to assign those keystroke
combinations to single keys. For example, I'm using the numeric keypad "+"
key for transmit, and the Enter key just below it for receive. I've tried
several of the keyboard remapping utilities and this one seems to provide
the best function and operational flexibility. For details and free
download, here's the link: http://www.dev-labs.com/kr/index.html . The
program is shareware, free for the first 30 days of personal use, $15 after
that. Keyboard setup is not exactly intuitive, so if you decide to give it
a try you can email me for some tips that will save you a lot of time.

K8AC
Dave
2002-06-12 16:33:41 UTC
Floyd et all

For most of the standard messages the transmit and receive commands can be
embedded in the DX4WIN pre-programmed RTTY message function keys using "/"
and "%T" at the end of the line.The most useful info I have seen on this
was sent to me a few weeks ago by Larry K8UT and John WA9ALS. The info is
on John's WEB page at....

http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/dx4win-mmtty-macros.rtf .

For the uninitiated with a couple of extra COM ports on your computer the
info on setting up your system to use MMTTY with DX4WIN is at
http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/dx4win-mmtty-hardware.rtf
Doing this in no way affects the use of MMTTY with Writelog, but as I said
above it will cost you two extra COM ports ( one of which was no longer
needed when I retired my PK-232 so really I only needed one more COM port)

IF your radio supports FSK then making a simple "one transistor modem"
(and yet another COM port ......well I have 10 COM ports on my PC don't you
...8^) will allow MMTTY to key your radio FSK input directly rather than
use AFSK and the additional problems associated with that approach.
Post by Floyd Sense" (Floyd Sense)
[...]
NR1DX
***@arrl.net

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns a lesson he can learn no other
way" .... Mark Twain
Larry Gauthier
2002-06-12 18:21:46 UTC
Dave (et al),

Actually, there is very good news on the "oh no, not enough serial port"
front!!

MixW software has developed a "serial port emulation program" that mimics
two hardware serial ports talking to each other, thus eliminating the need
for two additional serial ports to get MMTTY and DX4WIN communicating. The
program is available for free download from their web site.

See: http://www.mixw.net/related.htm

I have just found this site today (after doing a google search) and am very
excited about the possibilities for DX4WIN users that want to run RTTY
without the hassle and cost of adding serial ports.

I'll report back if/when I get this software working - but from the looks of
the web site this should be straightforward. If someone else has already
made it work... please let me know.

-larry
K8UT

Pawel, SP7PS
2002-06-12 23:19:28 UTC
Hi Larry,

It WORKS!!!! I downloaded this small "software" (it is driver installed in
the system called "MixW serial port bridge") and can work RTTY using DX4WIN
and MMTTY without ANY COM ports! That is great information for guys with
limited serial ports in computers.

Let me to give few steps to explain how to configure drivers, DX4WIN and
MMTTY (some of the information was taken from John WA9ALS's page
http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/dx4win-mmtty-hardware.rtf):

1. You need Windows XP/2000 to work the combo DX4WIN/MMTTY without
null-cable (I didn't try with other systms, but this info was taken from
"ReadMe" file of the "MixW serial port bridge".

2. Install "MixW serial port bridge" (all information about install driver
is in the ReadMe file)

3. After install open "System" from Control Panel. Next select "Hardware"
tab and click "Device Manager". Find "MixW serial port bridge" under
"Multi-port serial adapters". Right-click on it and choose "Properties".
Select Properties tab and choose first and second emulated ports (COM101 and
COM102 by default, BUT I suggest to change it to COM7 and COM8). Next close
the "System" and reboot the computer.

4. Now configure DX4WIN to talk to the MMTTY. These settings are found in
DX4WIN's <F>ile, <P>references, RTTY.

RTTY interface:
Type : regular
COM Port: COM7
Baud rate: 9600
Flow control: RTS/CTS
Data/Parity: 8 bits/no parity
Scrollback capacity: 500
X check for Dxspots
_ announce DX to other window
X Always in immediate mode (IMPORTANT!)
X Use bell character'
X Show function keys

5. MMTTY SETTINGS:
Open MMTTY software and go to <O>Ptions, <S>etup TNC Emulation(T)
Port definition
Port: COM8
Baud: 9600
Data length: 8 bits
Stop: 1 bit
Parity: None
Flow control: CTS
TNC type: TNC241
Local echo: After Sending
X Disable window (IMPORTANT - see text)
_ Stay on top

You should be able now to receive RTTY in DX4WIN window. If you press CTRL+T
it start transmit, by using CTRL+R you switch to receive mode.

Good luck and see you on RTTY
Pawel, SP7PS
SN7N in contests

K8UT
Floyd Sense" (Floyd Sense)
2002-06-12 18:35:18 UTC
Yes, you are correct and that's certainly good information. However, I'm
one of those old-time RTTY guys who sometimes actually carries on a two-way
conversation in RTTY mode! That makes the canned macros not always very
useful. I find that I have 7 of the 8 function keys already populated with
canned messages. If I had a couple of spares, then I could put just a "\"
in one string (switch to receive) and "%T" in the other (switch to
transmit). The alternate function keys selected by pressing CTRL, of
course, defeats my goal of a single keystroke to switch. Now if we just had
12 function keys we could set up instead of the 8, that might be a
reasonable alternative.

K8AC
2002-06-12 22:54:59 UTC
All caps on purpose!

I WANT A RTTY PROGRAM THAT HAS A TRUE TYPE AHEAD BUFFER. You know, like
punching tape. A buffer that will hold the data until it is told to send
it. The only one I have is the old TRTY None of the new stuff has such a
thing. I know they all say their progrms have a type ahead buffer but it
is NOT a holding buffer andf I do not type that fast. (Would like to have
back the money wasted)

73 y'all

RoY N4AN

2002-06-13 11:49:37 UTC
Roy,

I just want to make sure I understand your complaint...

DX4WIN, when used with MMTTY, has a type-ahead buffer. I can begin composing
my reply to the other station "off-line", so that when he turns the qso over
to me, I then hit <ctrl-T> and begin sending the contents of that type-ahead
buffer. I even have a keyboard macro that begins filling the buffer for my
next reply, with callsigns and his name in there - all going into the
buffer. This allows me get a head-start on my reply and prevents me from
revealing what a lousy typist I am ;-).

HOWEVER, what I have not figured out how to do is to <backspace>, so that
when I make a mistake [which happens often] while typing in the type-ahead
buffer I can backspace, correct, and continue.

Are you complaining about this first problem? or the second problem? or both
;-)

-larry
K8UT

NOTE TO PAWEL (SP9PS): Yes, the serial port emulator works! That's great
news, thanks for your notes. I will add them to my instructions and pass
them to John to place on his web site. This will allow lots more DX4WIN
users to get on RTTY without buying new hardware. If anyone has tried this
on Windows ME or 98 [which the README file says will not work] please let me
know. (I run strictly Win2K, so cannot perform the experiment)

Floyd Sense" (Floyd Sense)
2002-06-15 16:13:33 UTC
I've been using MMTTY apart from DX4WIN for quite some time now, and didn't
understand Roy's comments regarding the type-ahead buffer problem. I spent
some time trying things with MMTTY alone, and then MMTTY hooked up to
DX4WIN. Here are some interesting differences I found. If there's a way to
do these things as I'd like and I missed it, please let us know.

When using MMTTY not connected to DX4WIN, the type-ahead buffer works
exactly as I'd like it to. Here are the key things I observe:

1. If you are keying in data for an upcoming transmission, make a mistake,
and want to correct it, you can backspace and make the correction and what
is sent is what you see - only the corrected text.

2. Nothing is ever sent that does not appear in the input window. For
example, if you enter a line of text, and then decide to scrap it all, you
can simply hit the CLEAR button and it's gone. When you go to XMIT, the
deleted line is never sent.

When using MMTTY linked to DX4WIN, using the DX4WIN RTTY window, things are
a bit different.

1. If you key in data into the input window, make a mistake, and backup to
correct it, EVERYTHING you entered is sent except any indication for the
backspace. For example if you entered "TEXT" but wanted "TEST" , you might
have entered TEXT (backspace twice) ST. The resulting text sent is: TEXTST.

2. There appears to be no way to clear the input window buffer if you decide
not to send what you entered. If you enter some text in the input window
while in receive mode, then erase the text by highlighting it and hitting
delete, it's gone from the input window, but will be sent when you go to
XMIT.

Based on what I see, I have to agree with Roy. For casual RTTY operation,
maybe it's best to stick with plain MMTTY and export/import the MMTTY log to
DX4WIN after each session.

K8AC

Paul van der Eijk

2002-06-13 13:17:02 UTC
Sorry, Paul, but that math doesn't play here. Function keys were intended
to be "short-cuts". If I have to hit the CTRL key to get to the desired
function key, that isn't very useful to me. The genesis of this
conversation was avoiding having to use CTRL-R and CTRL-T to switch between
transmit and receive in some instances. And, while I didn't mention it
before, the reason for my wanting to avoid the CTRL key sequence is that,
for now, I have use of only my right hand. Perhaps others are capable of
holding down the CTRL key while pressing a function key with one hand, but
I'm not.

K8AC
http://www.dx4win.com